Welcome!

Welcome to Outside the LT! This blog will be your one-stop station for all news, events and happenings in DMIT - Diploma in Multimedia & Infocomm Technology, NYP!

We are also on Facebook! Visit us at DMIT@NYP. If you have landed here as an alumni, why not be our fan to our alumni page at DMIT Alumni@NYP?

Feel free to email us if you have anything to share with regards to DMIT or to join us as our roving reporter. Do post your comments and let us know your opinions or queries if any, we are listening! 8-)



Thursday, September 13, 2007

LKY STEP Award

Hi Guys, I am Ziwei, from NYP, Dip in Multimedia Infocomm Technology, Year 1, E7.

A little bit of my background, I am someone who hopped from one job to another after my GCE 'O' Level in 1999. However, encouraged by my National Service friends who are ITE graduates, I decided to join ITE.

In ITE, I was given many opportunities to develop not only my technical skills, but myself in many ways. As the president of the Student Council Central (MacPherson Campus), I represented ITE in dialogue sessions including those with Minister of Education, Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam, and Minister of State(Education), Mr Gan Kim Yong.

Apart from these I also participated in Youth Exchange programmes in Singapore Malaysia Youth Camp held in Pahang. I also represented ITE to go for Indonesia leadership training camp. I also went Vietnam for 1 month to study for CCNA Intro Examination, in their local computer school VSIC.

On top of all these I am also involved in community service programmes for the elderly poor in Singapore. I also went over to Yunnan/China to help needy villages there for 18 days.

In spite of these involvements, I stayed true to my goal. I had a perfect GPA 4.0. It takes a lot of determination and focus to achieve this.

But I must say ITE has transformed my life forever and allowed me a second chance in my life to get back into Singapore educational stream.

I am thankful and glad that ITE and Poly gave me this LKY STEP AWARD (Scholarship To Encourage Upgrading) to aid me in carrying on my studies in POLY.

I must say this, what you had achieved will not determine what you are going to get in your future. It is the determination, focus, hard work and attitude that you put in that will enable you to achieve what you will be getting. Now in NYP, my heart and soul goes fully into achieving good results for my modules.

Though life in Poly and ITE is not the same, still the basic principle of studying still applies. NYP definitely taught me in my first semester how to go about studying for my exams, how to listen to important points from the lecture and how to do my practical to the expectation of my lecturers

Lastly, thank you once again ITE and Poly for the award. My goal will not just stop here, and I urge all students like me to join me in achieving your own personal goals. I am sure through our course, with hard work and determination, our goals could be met.




Taken with Minister of State for Education Mr Gan Kim Yong

For more pictures

Contributed by Ho Zi Wei

1 comment:

who else? said...

Wow the STEP award, was aiming for that too but didn't got it.

Went through almost the exact same thing like u dude, after NS I proceeded to ITE.

Anyway, congrats.

From?

Your soccer buddy in the old days.